21 February 2011

Routines


For the better part of 3 years, I couldn't tell you where I was going to be or what I was going to do week-to-week or even day-to-day. There was a general plan of action but the specifics were inevitably left to be filled in. While this did stress me at times, it ultimately kept life fun, interesting, and changing quickly.

Now, in the world of normal, I can pretty much tell you where I'm going to be every Monday night at 7pm for the foreseeable future - in Zumba class. On Tuesdays at 11:15am I will be with my trainer (because that's what you have when you have a regular income and need to fit in). On Thursdays at 7am I will be at bikram yoga and on Saturday mornings I will be eating two eggs over medium on toast with yogurt, a banana, and orange juice. While most may find this comforting, I find it exhausting. The whole thing is like this delicate tower of must-dos and have-tos that get discussed and talked about regularly. In our office I know everyone else's schedule and they know mine. For every day of the week. I could literally tell you what I am scheduled to do every day of the week for the foreseeable future.

If plans change I get confused and don't know what to do with the spare time. "Oh, so no Zumba tonight? I guess I'll um...well...maybe...goodness me, this has just really thrown me for a loop. I mean, no, it's fine. Yeah, no, things come up (how, I don't know because Zumba has been on the calendar for a month and you don't just cancel Zumba). It's fine. Yeah, I'm fine. I'll find something else to do." Pan to me three hours later twiddling my thumbs trying to think of something to do on the spur of the moment.

For now, I shall find comfort in my routine and do my best to go with the flow. In fact, I've just penciled in some "go with the flow" time on Thursday evenings. I can't wait!

--

Kyle Taylor

Picture from: http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u107/exercise_routine.jpg

No comments: